Editing a Word document online is an easy way to make quick changes to a document on the go.
With Word Online (Word for the web), you can upload, edit, sign, and share your documents from anywhere and on any device with an internet connection. In this guide, I can show you how to edit a Word document online or in Word for the web for free.
Our goal is to help you edit a Word document online. Lucky for you, this post teaches you how to edit a Word document without Word for free.
Edit a document in Word for the web
To make changes to a Word document online:
- Go to Word for the web.
- Sign in or create a free ms account (if you do not have one).
- Once signed in, select the Word icon from the left menu.
- Then on the right-hand side, upload your document by clicking the Upload button or choosing OneDrive.
- Once your document opens in Word online, be sure it is in editing mode. If not, select Edit Document > Edit to start making changes.
If the document was created by someone else, they might have restricted editing. You can select File > Save as > Rename, save it under a different name, and make changes to the new document. Or you can request that the document owner allows editing.
In the Reading view, you can perform the following tasks:
- View and leave a comment
- Share a document so that you can collaborate with other people at the same time
- Download a copy as Word or as a PDF file
- Print a copy
Edit Word document online
You can easily edit Word document online using any internet-connected device. Here’s how:
- Go to an online document editor like Google docs which is free to use.
- Select Sign in or Sign up for free.
- Once signed in, click File > Open > Upload.
- Browse to the location of the document you want to edit, select it, and click Open.
- Then click Open with Google Docs to edit or format content, fill it out, sign it, save it as a pdf or in other formats, and that’s it.