Microsoft Office is available for free download on your computer and mobile device
Microsoft Office is a standalone productivity suite that you can only purchase once. In contrast, Microsoft 365 is a cloud-based subscription service with the same apps as Office 2019 and Office 2021 but with additional tools and benefits.
If you want to try Microsoft Office but aren’t sure if you are ready to commit, you can download the Microsoft 365 free trial and use MS Office free for one month.
What You Get With Your Microsoft 365 Free Trial
A Microsoft 365 subscription also includes mobile apps for editing Microsoft Office files. Tablets and Smartphones running Android and iOS are supported.
You can simultaneously sign in to Office on up to five devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones. Also, you can share Microsoft 365 Family subscription with up to 5 people.
Note: Check out a free Microsoft Office alternative for your word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation needs if you want a long-term free productivity suite.
RELATED: A Complete Guide to Microsoft 365
How to Install the Microsoft 365 Free Trial
To sign up for the free trial of Microsoft 365, you must have a Microsoft account. The Microsoft Account page allows you to create a new account.
Note: You may not sign up for the Microsoft 365 trial more than once. Suppose you attempt to access the trial from an account that previously accessed it and a message informing you that the trial offer is only available for new customers.
2. Click on Next on the first page.
3. Select a payment method. Although the trial is free, Microsoft collects your payment information during this process so that you will be charged after the trial expires. You can cancel Microsoft 365 anytime to avoid this (more on that below).
Important: As long as this is your first time signing up for the free trial with this email, you won’t be charged until after the trial expires.
4. Follow the steps to enter your payment information. It includes entering your credit or debit card information, signing into PayPal, or providing your bank information.
5. Select Subscribe to start the free trial. Uncheck the promotional email option if you do not want to receive those.
If you plan on not canceling after the trial expires to keep Microsoft Office, the amount you’ve to pay is shown on this summary page.
6. On the next page, click on the Installs tab and select Install Office.
7. Accept the default option unless you have reason to choose other options. For example, click Other options and choose a different language or version, if necessary. Then, click blue Install to download the suite of Office applications.
8. After the file completely downloads, open it and follow the on-screen instructions to install Microsoft 365 on your device for free.
Details on the Microsoft 365 Free Trial
The Microsoft 365 free trial is available for one month at no cost. Unless you cancel before the deadline, you must pay for a subscription after the trial period expires.
You aren’t charged anything at all for an entire month. Because you provided payment information to get the trial version, that information is associated with your Microsoft account.
To disable automatic payments, cancel your Microsoft 365 subscription before the end of the month. If you cancel Microsoft 365 on the same day you create it, you will not be charged at the end of the trial, and you can continue to use Microsoft 365 until the trial expires.
If you’re a student and your institution is qualified, you might be eligible to get free Microsoft Office.
How to Cancel Your Microsoft 365 Free Trial
Here’s how to cancel Microsoft 365 trial.
If you do not want to continue using the apps, cancel your Microsoft 365 subscription before your free trial expires. You can do this any time during your free trial, and the software will continue to function until the expiration date.
The date when your subscription will renew automatically is shown at the top of your Services & Subscriptions page, next to the Annual subscription. You can see the date you began using the trial at the bottom under your billing history.
On the next page, confirm by selecting Turn off recurring billing.
After canceling, the Annual subscription date will change from “Renews on” to “Expires on.“ That is the simplest way to tell if you’ve successfully prevented Microsoft 365 from charging you after the trial period ends.
RELATED: How to Cancel Microsoft 365