A step-by-step guide to download and install or reinstall Microsoft Office 365 on any Windows device
Download and Install Office 365
This article explains how to download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365, Office 2021, Office 2019, and Office 2016 on your PC and Mac.
Tip: If this is a new purchase and you’re installing Office 365 for the first time, type setup.office.com in your browser, sign in with an MS account, or click create a new account. Enter your product key, and follow the on-screen steps to complete the Office setup and download.
Step 1 – Sign in to download Office 365
1. Open your browser, visit www.office.com, and click Sign In if you’re not already signed in.
2. Sign in with the account associated with this version of Office.
3. On the Office home page, click Install Office.
4. Select Install.
5. Your Office will start to download on your computer. To finish the installation, follow the steps in the Install Office 365 section below.
Step 2 – Install Office 365
1. Click and open the downloaded Office setup file to install Office.
2. Depending on your browser, choose Setup (in Chrome), Run (in Internet Explorer), or Save File (in Microsoft Edge or Firefox).
- If you see the User Account Control prompt, click Yes.
3. The installation begins.
4. When you see the phrase, “You’re all set! Office is installed now,” an animation shows you where to find Office applications on your computer. Click Close.
- Follow the instructions in the window and to find your Office applications, click Start > All Apps.
Step 3 – Activate Office 365
1. To open an Office app, click the Start icon (in the lower-left corner of your screen) and type the name of an Office app, like Excel or Word.
- If you have Windows 8.1 or 8.0, go to the Start screen and type the name of an Office app. Can’t find your Office apps?
2. To open the Office app, click its icon from the search results.
3. In most cases, Office is activated when you open an application and select Accept to agree to the Microsoft Office License terms.
- Your Office may activate automatically. However, the Office Activation Wizard may appear depending on your product. If so, click the Sign In button and follow the on-screen instructions to activate Office.
Note: To Reinstall Office 365:
- If you don’t already have the installation file on your computer, visit the My Account page and click the download link to reinstall Microsoft Office.
- Follow the steps outlined above.
- If you have the Office Setup file, run it to start the installation process.
RELATED: 2 Ways to Reinstall Microsoft Office