Microsoft Word has a lot of text formatting options. This step-by-step guide will show you how to double-space in Word.
When you use double spacing in Word, your text contains a full blank line between paragraphs or lines of text.
The primary purpose of double spacing is to improve text readability and the structure of your document.
In addition, double spacing in Word makes providing feedback in a printed document easy. Because there is an empty line between each line and paragraph, you can use blank space to leave feedback.
Note: Instructions in this article apply to Word 2021, Word 2019, Word 2016, Word 2013, and Word 365. In our case, we’re using Word for Microsoft 365.
How to Double Space in Word
Three ways to double space in Word:
- Double-space the entire document
- Double-space a part of the document
- Double-space using Keyboard Shortcuts
In this article, you’ll learn how to double-space a Word document.
Let’s get started.
Method 1: Double Space the entire document
Steps to double-space the whole document.
1. Select the Design tab from the ribbon menu.
2. Click the Paragraph Spacing option, and select Double from the drop-down menu.
Each line and paragraph (including new ones) in that document will change to double spacing.
Method 2: Double Space a part of the document
If you want to double-space only a part of the document, follow the steps.
1. Select the paragraph or lines of text in the document.
2. From the Home tab, select the Line and Paragraph Spacing icon. A drop-down list will appear.
3. Choose the desired spacing between the paragraphs or lines of text. Or choose 2.0.
Tip: Line and Paragraph Spacing 2.0 is equal to double-space in Word.
4. When you click that value, the selected text will have the desired spacing between the lines.
The selected paragraphs or lines of text are now double-spaced.
Method 3: Double Space using Keyboard Shortcuts
You can also use keyboard shortcuts to double-space the entire or part of a text in your document. Here’s how.
1. Select your text. (Drag the mouse cursor across the text).
Shortcut: Press Ctrl+A to select the entire text in your document.
2. Press Ctrl+1 (Windows) or (⌘ Command+1 for Mac) to add a single space.
3. Use Ctrl+2 (Windows) or (⌘ Command+2 for Mac) to add a double space.
4. Press Ctrl+5 (for Windows) or (⌘ Command+5 for Mac) for 1.5 (one and a half) spacing.
It is easy to change the line and paragraph spacing in Microsoft Word. We covered how to double-space in Microsoft Word.
We’ve shown you three methods, and using the keyboard shortcut keys is the most straightforward method. I hope you found this tutorial helpful.
Open your Word document. Highlight the text and press the Ctrl+2 or Command+2 shortcut keys to double-space in Word.
Launch your document, select the text, and press ⌘ Command+2 on your keyboard to double space in Word on Mac.