Here are the simple methods to uninstall Office or Microsoft 365 from a Windows PC if you do not like the software or have problems with it and need to reinstall it.
After installing the Office apps suite on your Windows, you may have several reasons to uninstall them. Perhaps you are attempting to free up an Office license from Microsoft 365 (previously Office 365), Office 2021, Office 2019, or Office 2016 for another device.
The Office apps are not working as they should, and you are attempting to reinstall the software to resolve the problem.
You dislike the product and want to revert to a prior version or permanently uninstall the suite.
Whatever the reason you have to uninstall Office suite, there are at least a few ways to uninstall Office from a PC.
This article will walk you through the steps to uninstall Office from your Windows installation, including Office from Microsoft 365, Office 2021, Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013, and Office 2010.
Tip: Only the Office applications are removed from your computer when you uninstall Office. It does not delete any files, documents, or spreadsheets you created using the apps.
Uninstall Office from Windows using Control Panel
To uninstall Office from a PC with Control Panel, use these steps:
1. Click the Windows Start icon or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
2. In the Search bar, type Control Panel and click on it to open it.
3. On the Control Panel window, click Programs.
4. Click Programs and Features. It will open a list of all the programs installed on your PC.
5. Find and select the Microsoft Office installation or the name of the Office suite you purchased, like Microsoft 365, Office Home and Student 2021, or Office Home and Student 2019.
6. Click Uninstall at the top.
7. Click Yes on the user account control window.
8. On the Ready to uninstall dialog box, click Uninstall.
9. Wait for the system to remove Office from your computer.
10. Once Office is uninstalled, you’ll see a confirmation message saying, “Done uninstalling.”
Uninstall Office from Windows using Settings
To uninstall Microsoft Office from a Windows PC with Settings, use these steps:
1. Click Windows Start.
2. Open Settings on Windows 10 or 11.
3. Click on the Apps tab.
4. Select Apps & features.
5. Locate and select the Microsoft Office 365 installation or the name of the suite you purchased, like Microsoft Office 365, Office Home and Student 2021, or Office Home and Student 2019 from the list.
6. Click Uninstall.
7. Click the Uninstall button again.
8. Click Yes on the user account control.
9. Continue with the on-screen steps to finish the uninstallation process.
When you complete the above steps, your Office program will remove from the PC.
Alternatively, and on previous versions of Windows OS, you can open Control Panel and uninstall the Office apps suite from the Programs and Features tab.
RELATED: Use Microsoft Office Removal Tool to Uninstall Office
Uninstall Office using Office Uninstall Tool
Microsoft provides an easy-fix tool to assist you in completely uninstalling Microsoft 365 (Office 365), Office 2021, Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013, and Office 2010. You can also completely uninstall Office using the Office removal tool.
You can use the Microsoft Office uninstall tool to uninstall/remove the Office suite from your computer. Here’s how.
1. Download the Office uninstall tool.
2. Double-click the setup to launch the uninstaller.
3. A window will appear saying, “Do you want to install this application?” Click Install.
4. Wait for the installation to complete.
5. Click I Agree to accept the terms.
6. Click Yes on the user account control pop-up window.
7. Wait for the Office uninstall tool to troubleshoot the issue.
8. Select the Office product you want to remove. Then click Next.
9. Check the option to confirm that you have saved all your work and closed open Office apps.
10. Click Next to uninstall Office or Microsoft Office 365 from your PC.
11. Wait for the Microsoft Office uninstall tool to remove Office. It will take several minutes.
12. Click Restart to complete the uninstall process.
13. After your PC restarts, click the No button if prompted to reinstall Office.
Note: It is better to reinstall Office manually. Go to www.office.com, and sign in to your Microsoft account to reinstall Office.
14. To complete the process, finish the needed questionnaires and click submit.
After completing the instructions, the Office suite apps included with your Microsoft 365 subscription will no longer be available on your Windows PC.
Microsoft Office is completely gone from Windows 10 and 11. You can either move on or reinstall Microsoft Office.
You can no longer uninstall individual Office apps, such as Word or Excel, using Microsoft 365 (Office 365) subscription. However, when you buy the standalone version of Office, you can still uninstall individual apps.
RELATED: 2 Ways to Reinstall Microsoft Office
On Windows 10 and 11, click the Windows Start button and type the control panel in the search bar. Hit Enter, click Programs and then click Uninstall a program. Then select Microsoft 365 and click Uninstall.
Click Windows Start > Control Panel. Click Programs > Programs and Features. Select the Office application you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.