Microsoft Office is a powerful office suite that makes your personal, work, and student life easy and productive.
You can use MS Office for Word processing, creating spreadsheets, and beautiful slideshow presentations. However, sometimes you may want to reinstall Microsoft Office if it gets corrupted or if Office apps are not working correctly.
You might want to reinstall Microsoft Office after system restore. Or, if you accidentally uninstall Office, you can redownload Microsoft Office for Mac or PC anytime.
Tip: You can reinstall Office or Microsoft 365 even without your product key.
How to Reinstall Microsoft Office
Two ways to reinstall Microsoft Office on your computer.
- Double-click the Office Installer File
- Sign In to Reinstall Office
We will show you how to reinstall Office or Microsoft 365 on your computer. Also, how to activate Microsoft Office after reinstalling it.
Let’s get started.
Note: Instructions in this article apply to Office 2016, Office 2019, Office 2019 for Mac, Office 2021, Office 2021 for Mac, Microsoft 365, and Microsoft 365 for Mac.
Method 1: Double-click the Office Installer File
1. Go to the Downloads folder on your PC.
2. Locate the Office Setup installer file and double-click on it.
Tip: On Mac, go to Finder, click the Downloads folder to find the Office installer file (ends with .pkg), and double-click on it to reinstall your Office.
3. If prompted, click Yes to allow the Office program to install.
4. Wait for Office to run the installation setup.
5. Once finished, your Office reinstalls on your computer.
Method 2: Sign In to Reinstall Office
2. Click the Sign In button.
3. Sign in with the account you associated with your Office subscription.
4. After signing in, click Install Office.
5. Click Install on the Download and install Office window.
6. Double-click the Office Setup installation file.
7. If prompted, select Yes.
8. Follow the on-screen prompts that match the type of account you used to sign in.
9. Once finished, you have your Office reinstalled on your computer.
Activate Office Apps after Reinstalling
Now, whichever way you’ve used to reinstall Office, your computer might prompt you to activate Office. Here’s how to do it.
1. Open an Office app such as Excel or Word.
2. Click the Sign In or Get Started button.
3. Sign in with your Microsoft account email and password linked with your Office software.
4. Wait for Office to verify your Microsoft account and Office software.
5. Once verified, your Office apps will be activated.
This article outlines two ways to reinstall Microsoft Office on your computer. Sign In to Reinstall Office takes a long time, and you’ve to install Microsoft Office from the start. Double-click the Office Installer file method is the easiest way to reinstall Office on your PC or Mac.
That’s why we recommend the double-click method, which does this job quickly and saves you a lot of time. But that is possible only if you have the Office Setup installer file on your computer.
To redeem your new purchase or product key, type setup.office.com in your browser. Sign in with the ms account or sign up for a new account. Enter your product key and select Install Office from the Office home page. Click Install, and then follow the prompts to reinstall your Office software.