Here’s how to completely uninstall Office 365, 2021, 2019, and 2016 from your Mac.
Microsoft Office is critical to our day-to-day work. However, you might want to uninstall it from your Mac for different reasons, including upgrading to a newer version, freeing up storage space, or fixing errors in Word, Excel, Outlook, or other Office applications.
It should have been easy to uninstall Office for Mac, but the Office Removal Tool only works with Windows. Want to learn how to uninstall Office on Mac? Please continue reading.
In this article, we’ll show you step-by-step instructions to completely uninstall Office 365, 2021, 2019, and 2016 from your Mac.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Office on Mac
Microsoft Office is available in many versions (Home, Family/Personal, Business, and Enterprise). Different versions serve different purposes.
Office 2016, Office 2019, Office 2021, and the most recent Microsoft 365 are the most commonly used Mac versions. Here’s how to remove them from your Mac computer.
Tip: Be sure to log in to your administrator account on Mac.
How to Remove Office 2016 on Mac
Microsoft Office stopped supporting Office 2016 for Mac on October 13, 2020. Although you can continue to use its apps, you cannot keep them up to date and receive new features, patches, and security updates. To uninstall it, follow the steps:
- First, quit all Office 2016 for Mac applications.
- Launch Finder from the Dock and navigate to the Applications folder.
- Locate the Office 2016 folder and move it to Trash.
- Restart your Mac after emptying the Trash.
Note: If you want to upgrade to Microsoft 365, Office 2021, or Office 2019 for Mac, download the License Removal Tool and run it to remove the Office 2016 for Mac license.
How to Uninstall Office 365, 2021, and 2019 on Mac
Uninstalling newer versions of Office for Mac, such as Microsoft 365, is complicated because you must delete its apps and any related files on the hard drive.
The steps to uninstall Office 365, 2021, and 2019 on Mac are similar. And they mainly include removing Office apps, deleting associated files, and closing apps from the Dock.
Step 1: Remove Office for Mac Apps
- Open Finder from Dock.
- Click on the Applications folder.
- Depending upon the version of Office installed on your Mac, select all Office apps.
- Right-click and choose “Move to Trash.”
Note: macOS 11 and newer will ask you for an administrator password (same as your login password) to remove Office for Mac apps.
Step 2: Delete Office Files on Mac
1. Launch Finder on your Mac.
2. Press Shift + Command + G to open the “Go to the folder” dialog box.
3. Enter ~/Library and click Go. It will open the Library folder.
4. Locate and open the Containers folder.
5. Locate the folders listed below, select and move them to Trash.
Note: Not all of them will be present.
6. Return to the Library folder by clicking the back arrow at the top.
7. Scroll down and open the Group Containers folder.
8. If the folders below are present, click and move them to the Trash.
Note: You’ll lose all Outlook data when you remove the first three folders. Please make a backup before removing them.
9. Right-click on the Trash icon and click empty Trash.
Step 3: Quit Office Apps from the Dock
- If you have added Office Apps to the Dock, right-click on each app icon and select Options > Remove from Dock.
Step 4: Restart your Mac
- Click the Apple logo icon in the top left corner.
- Select Restart from the drop-down menu.
Restarting your computer will uninstall Office for Mac completely.
That’s all there is to it when it comes to uninstalling Office on a Mac. Overall, uninstalling Office 2016 for Mac is easy, but removing Office 365, 2021, and 2019 on Mac is challenging and time-consuming.
This step-by-step guide will make it easy for you to remove all Office applications and their related files.