Microsoft provides a free Office removal tool to help you completely uninstall Office on Windows (laptop, desktop, and all-in-one). Here’s how to use it.
You might want to remove Office because:
- The Office applications are not working correctly, and you may need to uninstall them for diagnostic purposes.
- You want to uninstall previous versions of Office to install a new one.
- You’re trying to remove Office 365 (now Microsoft 365) for another device.
Tip: Uninstalling Office or Microsoft 365 only removes the Office apps from your PC. It does not delete your files created with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
This guide will help you download and use the Office uninstall tool to remove any version of Office from Windows.
Step 1: Microsoft Office Removal Tool Download
There are easy ways to uninstall Microsoft Office, like Control Panel and Windows Settings.
But to ensure Office is completely uninstalled, the best way is to use the Microsoft Office Removal Tool.
1. Download the Office Removal Tool to uninstall Office automatically.
- You can also visit the Microsoft support page about Uninstall Office from a PC. Expand Option 2 under Click-to-Run or MSI. Then, select the Download button to download the Office uninstall tool.
2. After downloading, press Ctrl + J to open downloads. You’ll see a file named SetupProd_OffScrub.exe in your browser. (See the image below).
Note: The Microsoft Office removal tool should remove any version of Microsoft Office on Windows. For Mac, see Uninstall Microsoft Office Mac.
Step 2: How to Uninstall Office with Office Removal Tool
1. Double-click the SetupProd_OffScrub file to launch the Office uninstaller. If prompted in Windows 11, select Install Anyway.
2. In the Application Install window, click the Install button. It may take minutes to install.
3. Select I Agree to accept the terms. If prompted, select Yes. Now, wait for the Office removal to troubleshoot the issue.
4. Select the Office product you want to uninstall, then click Next.
- I used this tool on my Windows 10 laptop to remove Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 (As seen in the image above).
5. Check the box to confirm that you have saved all your work and closed open Office apps. Then, click Next to proceed.
6. Click Next to confirm uninstall.
7. Wait for the uninstall tool to start uninstalling Office. It takes several minutes. You can use your computer and let the uninstall process run in the background.
8. In the Restart your computer screen, click Restart to finish the uninstall process.
After a restart, the Microsoft Office uninstall tool opens automatically and prompts you to reinstall Microsoft Office.
Close the program, as Microsoft Office is completely removed and is no longer available on your PC.
This step-by-step guide helped you download the Office removal tool and use it to uninstall Office from a PC.
If your product key is still valid, you can easily reinstall Microsoft Office without a product key on the same or another computer.
To remove Microsoft Office from Windows 10, open Control Panel and select Uninstall a program under Programs. Select your Microsoft Office product, and click Uninstall at the top. You can also download the Easy Fix tool. Run and install the Easy Fix tool. Then, follow the on-screen steps to complete the removal process.