Learn how to sign up for Microsoft 365
Microsoft 365 is a monthly subscription service that includes the Office 2021 and Office 2019 desktop apps (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and the Office Online web apps. This article will explain how to sign up for the service and install the apps on your computer. Instructions in this article apply to Microsoft 365 Family on Windows PC.
Purchase a Microsoft 365 for Family Subscription
Purchasing a Microsoft 365 subscription requires choosing the version of Office you want and entering your payment information.
1. Open a web browser on your PC and go to www.office.com.
2. Sign in with your Microsoft account or sign up for a new one.
3. After you sign in, the Office portal appears, from where you can access Office Online apps and manage your Office subscription.
4. Select the blue Buy Office button.
5. If you want to pay an annual subscription fee, click on Buy now for the Office subscription you want. If you prefer to pay a monthly subscription fee, choose Or buy for $9.99 per month.
Note: Do you want to try out Microsoft 365 before purchasing it? Select sign up for a free 30-day trial of Microsoft 365.
6. Check the information in the Cart and then click Checkout.
7. Choose a payment method. Select a credit or debit card, PayPal, or a bank account.
8. Fill in the payment information.
9. Click on Save.
10. Then, Click on Place Order.
11. Your order will be processed, and you will receive an email confirmation of the transaction.
Install Microsoft 365 for Family
Install Office on your PC after purchasing a Microsoft 365 subscription.
1. Use the PC where you want to install Office.
2. Go to the Microsoft 365 webpage and sign in to your Microsoft account.
3. On the next screen, select Install Office.
4. On the Microsoft 365 Family web page, select Install Office.
5. Select Install on the Download and install Microsoft 365 Family screen.
6. Depending on your web browser, you may see a prompt to Run or Save the downloaded file. Select Run.
7. Office prepares everything and then installs the apps.
8. When the installation is complete, Office may prompt you to enter your email address or phone number to receive a download link to install Office on your mobile.
RELATED: A Complete Guide to Microsoft 365
Activate Microsoft 365 for Family
After installing Office, activate your subscription.
To activate Office on your PC:
1. Open one of the Office apps, for example, Excel.
2. A new window will pop up, saying what’s new. Select the blue Get Started button to begin the activation process.
2. On the “Sign In to Activate Office” window. Select Sign In.
3. Enter your Microsoft account email address and select Next.
4. Enter your password associated with your Microsoft account.
5. Click Activate Office.
6. On the Accept the license agreement window, select Accept.
7. The Office app launches and you’re ready to create Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.
RELATED: How to Cancel Microsoft 365
Install Microsoft 365 on Another Device
You can install your Microsoft 365 Family subscription on up to 6 devices.
Tip: You can simultaneously sign in to Office on six devices.
To install Office on another computer, sign in to your Microsoft account on the computer where you want to install Office. Select Install Office from the Office portal page.
To install Office on a mobile device, use the smartphone, iPhone, or tablet where you want to install Office. Then, go to either Google Play Store, the Apple Store, or Microsoft Store to search Microsoft Office and install the apps. After installation, sign in to your Microsoft account associated with your subscription and use Office apps.
Share Your Microsoft 365 Family Subscription with Others
If other members of your house use Microsoft 365, they don’t have to buy a subscription. You can share a Microsoft 365 Family subscription with up to 5 other people.
When you share a Microsoft 365 subscription, each person has access to the following features:
- Apps: The latest version of the premium Office apps for Windows PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
- Cloud storage: 6TB of cloud storage – 1 TB per person on OneDrive.
- Skype calls: Calls to mobile phones and landlines are limited to 60 minutes per month.
- Outlook email: 50 GB of email storage on Outlook.
To share a Microsoft 365 Family subscription:
1. Sign in using the Microsoft account you used to set up Microsoft 365.
2. On the Office portal page, choose Install Office.
3. Click on the Sharing tab.
4. Choose Start sharing.
5. On the Share your subscription window, choose to either:
- Email invitation: Sends a link in an email message.
- Invite via the link: Generates a link that you can copy and send to the recipient via email, text message, or another method.
6. When a person receives the link, they use it to install Office on their computer.
Explore the Different Microsoft 365 Subscriptions
Microsoft offers different subscription levels for Microsoft 365. Home subscriptions are divided into three classes:
- Microsoft 365 Family: Up to 6 people can share this subscription. Each user has access to 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage and can install the Office apps on all of their devices.
- Microsoft 365 Personal: This subscription is for one user, but you can install the Office apps on all your devices. You’ll also get 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage.